We start teaching phonics in Nursery and follow the Monster Phonics Programme.
We have a strong focus on language development for our children because we know that speaking and listening are crucial skills for reading and writing in all subjects.
Books and reading are at the heart of everything we do. We encourage children as readers, who select texts for both purpose and pleasure.
A love of reading is evident throughout the school and is embraced by all children and staff. We actively celebrate a love of books, we encourage children to discuss and share what they have been reading, this is enhanced by all adults in school sharing and promoting their love of reading. We celebrate World Book day, which is always a highlight in the school year.
We have a school library and reading areas in each classroom.
We enhance and engage reading for pleasure through focus weeks, author visits and national literacy events.
We aim for all of our pupils to become fluent readers. We intend that our pupils:
- Build on their growing knowledge of the alphabetic code, mastering phonics to read and spell as they move through school.
- Be equipped to tackle any unfamiliar words as they read.
- Read confidently for meaning and regularly enjoy reading for pleasure.
- See themselves as readers for both pleasure and purpose.
- Be taught fidelity to the Monster Phonics programme